Isaac came home last Wednesday evening and said to me, "Jaycee, I need you to do something for me."
After I hesitantly said "okkk?", he surprised me by saying, "Let's go to Colorado and spend the weekend in Estes Park hiking, and biking."
After getting approval from my supervisor, we started planning our mini-vacay. I reserved a room at the Coyote Mountain Lodge while Isaac planned our activities for the weekend.
We headed west Thursday evening and made a pit-stop in Russell to spend the night and drop Mr. Benson off with my parents.
We hit the road early on Friday morning, (so early, we were the first customers at McDonalds!) and had quite a fun drive to Colorado. We drank way too much coffee, and spent 8 hours dancing and singing our hearts out. I'm married to such a fun guy!
After arriving in Estes Park, we walked up and down main street and the river walk, and had lunch at Chicagos Best Pizza.
There are so many retail stores in Estes. If you are in need of cheap T-Shirts or ice cream, this is your place. I read in a visitors guide that Estes has over 3 million visitors a year!
After getting acquainted with the town and checking into our motel, we rented bikes and hit the trails for an 8 mile ride.
Such beautiful scenery!
The nearly 8 mile hile was full of beautiful scenery and animals.
Isaac is the perfect hiking companion; so helpful, prepared, and considerate of my slower pace.
Isaac decided to soak his feet at the lake, which proved to be a wise decision. He wasn't nearly as sore the next day.
The hike down to the trailhead obviously quite a bit easier than our hike up, and we did it in about half the time.
This hike really pushed me to my limit, and I loved it.
We did it!!
That evening, Estes was hosting a Beer, Brats and Bands outdoor party in the park. Morgan and Eddie came up from Boulder to spend the evening with us. We started out in the park listening to the music, and then headed to main street for a little window shopping and dinner.
It was so nice spending time with them!
I woke up the next morning to the sound of an Elk bugling right outside of our motel.
Isaac and I went outside to see what all the ruckus was about, and saw three bulls just walking around in the yard. Isaac got within 15 feet, and got some wonderful footage.
We spent our last morning in Estes taking a walk around Estes Lake and taking in the fresh mountain air and scenery one last time. On the way home, we stopped in Loveland for lunch at Rockbottom Brewery. Isaac had a burger and I had a Southwest salad. I recently started eating salads ( I went 22 years without doing so) and am constantly craving them. I think my body is making up for all those years without it.
I am convinced that September is the perfect time to visit Colorado. The trees are turning beautiful fall shades, the temperature is in the low 70's and there aren't as many visitors are the busy summer seasons.
I hope we can visit again soon!










No comments:
Post a Comment