Saturday, August 6, 2011

Back to School

Isaac started his second year of medical school on Monday. I no longer have to wake up by myself in the morning, and it's nice to have someone to eat breakfast with! 

This module is Musculoskeletal. To quote Isaac "In one month I have to learn all of the bones and muscles of the body, excluding the head & neck, along with that I also have to learn all of the different parts of the bones, functions of muscles & where they attach & insert. I also have to learn all of the arteries and veins that supply the muscles & bones. I'm also learning how bone & muscle are formed and all of the diseases associated with them, or the pathophysiology" Whew! Sounds like a lot to learn in one month, but I'm sure he will do it!


Thanks to medical school, we now have a wonderful addition to our home.... a big 'ol box of bones. Benson's been going crazy, and is dying to get his paws on a nice big scapula or or a crunchy clavicle. I'm a little creeped out by the bone box because because these are REAL bones out of a cadaver, not those plastic bones we handled in school! The skull is definitely my least favorite, especially when Isaac thinks it's funny to taunt me with it, and make it "talk".

The bones are blurred out in the pictures because of privacy requirements.

Isaac was giving me a back rub the other night and while doing so, was naming every bone and muscle in the back & neck. When I looked up, I had a human scapula in my face, because he was looking at the bone while feeling mine underneath the skin. I guess I'm going to be a good learning tool, and I don't mind the back rubs!

Benson doesn't know what to think about that scapula!

Isaac and I have been keeping pretty busy on the weekends. Last weekend, we went to Oceans of Fun with Haley, Levi, & Isaac M. It was pretty fun, and it was nice relaxing in the cool water on the 105+ degree day! Out favorite spot was the wave pool. We all got life jackets (those waves are intense & high!) and floated out at the deep end since not many people ventured out that far. We did witness one guy being rescued by the lifeguard because he couldn't handle the waves!

 117 degrees?!?!?!
 We packed a picnic for our Oceans of Fun outing.

This week at work flew by. It seems like I'm getting a little busier, which is a good feeling. It's probably since people have been needing so much Ferrellgas propane to heat their house the past week..NOT!

I made a few good meals this week, and tonight I'm making lasagna and sweet corn. Here are some of my favorite meals of the week:

 I made Isaac fish the other night with some fresh cut roasted herb potatoes, broccoli & a fruit smoothie. The fish was swai and I coated it with olive oil, lemon pepper, and a little panko to get a crispy coating. I added a few dabs of butter as it was finishing cooking, just for good measure. *Rule: Butta makes everything Betta.*  He said it was some of the best fish and he could eat it every night! He sure knows how to sweet talk me!


This is how much I love Isaac - I made him a meal that I don't even like, so I ate Cheerios. I guess I should learn to like fish!

My favorite meal of the week was a recipe I found out of the Pioneer Woman cookbook - Marlboro Man's favorite Sandwich. It was so good. It uses cube steak, which is can be tough, but the meat in the sandwich is really tender. I made this sandwich one night for my family and I used what I thought was Lawrys but was actually dad's "butt rub" (for his pork butt when he smokes them) The meat turned out a little sweet since butt rubb is 1/2 sugar & 1/2 Lawrys.

 I used my Le Creuset dutch oven for the first time - I will now be cooking every meal with this. It cooks everything so well and is so sturdy. Love it! Thanks, Jimmy & Judy New!
 and thank you Grandma Bonnie for the cookbook! I've made a lot of recipes out of it! Isaac even made a blueberry crumble cake from this book, and it was delicious!
 Now, back to the sandwich. Basically, you cook up some onions in butter, and then cut up strips of cube steak against the grain, & season the steak with Lawrys, lemon pepper, s&p. Cook the meat in butter, add some Worchestershire sauce to at the end, and then some more butter. Seriously. I think this recipe has like 2 sticks of butter. Don't forget to butter the bread before you brown it on the butter coated skillet. It's a very important step :).
 Here is the end result. Such a yummy and satisfying dinner! Here is a link to the recipe. 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/marlboro_mans_f/

Isaac cooked me dinner for our 2 month anniversary. He made chicken pasta with BBQ sauce, cheese & peppers. It was really good. He also decorated our bathroom for the 2 month.

 I don't think you can read the mirror because of my camera flash, but he wrote "Happy 2 month, I love you!" What a sweetie.
This is what he made us for dinner.
Isaac brought me lunch that day also and got to meet my boss & some people I work with. I enjoyed introducing him to everyone & showing him my "office" and the building.

Last night, all of the gang went to Lawrence to a housewarming dinner party for our friends, Rob & Megan. They are the couple that just got married 2 weeks ago. The dinner was really good and we enjoyed great conversation and a few bottles of wine. I have a horrible headache today thanks to the latter. 


This morning, Isaac & I went to the farmers market in Overland Park. Downtown OP has a small-town feel to it, and looks like Russell main street!

 The farmers market was really neat. We could definitely tell that tomatoes & peaches are in season! We bought some peaches, sweet corn & lettuce like Grandma Bonnie has in her garden. I can't wait to eat all of our finds!
Isaac and I are going to make a K.C. bucket list - things we want to do while we are living in KC. I can't wait to check off all of the things on our list!




No comments:

Post a Comment