Sunday, July 13, 2014

My New Title

This week is going to be my last at Ferrellgas. It's bittersweet for me, as I'm not great with transitions in life. 

I feel like a great chapter of my life is closing, part one of our marriage/adult life, if you will. I started with FNA upon returning from our Honeymoon. My first position was "Transportation Admin," and then I moved into supply 4 months later, as the "Pricing Analyst."

Here's me on my first day of work:


I love numbers, so my job is a perfect fit for me. I also work with some amazing people, which adds to the fact leaving will be hard. 

Isaac started residency mid-June, so I have been working full-time, and watching LRC by myself. I quickly found out doing this is a recipe for disaster, and I turned in my notice shortly after. 

When I tell people I work from home, they say, "Oh, you are so lucky! You get to work AND be a mom!" They. Are. Clueless. There is no way to manage an important phone call, an !Urgent! e-mail, a hungry child and a dog that's about to pee himself from being ignored, all at once. I've been doing it for almost a month and am about to lose it.

And the fact that I'm a perfectionist makes it worse. I want to give my career, my child, my husband, and my home 100% attention, and there's simply not enough of me to go around. And when Mama aint' happy, aint' nobody happy. 

I also want the house to be a "happy place" for Isaac to return after working a 14 hour day, not a war zone. Working Mama=Stress=Everybody Unhappy. 

When Luke was born, the plan was for me to keep working, and have a nanny watch Luke while I worked. We hired a wonderful nanny, Kylie, she and Luke were two peas in a pod. She was great with him, and I was comfortable with her watching him, which can be difficult for me. 

Kylie is still in college, so she couldn't be at our house from 9-6, and the cost was getting a bit much, so instead of nannying full-time, she is now our go-to babysitter.

We also looked into daycare. I was always adamant I would NOT have someone else raise my child. I got over that once I saw how much Luke liked interacting with other children, and honestly, it would be nice to work in peace from home. That idea flew out the window once we saw the price tag. An educational based school that we were comfortable with ate up more than half of my take-home pay. It just wasn't worth it. 

So there we were...back at square one....No nanny, no daycare, me working full-time unhappy and stressed. Luke not getting the attention he deserves. It was a no brainer, I had to quit and be a full time mommy. 

Finances are a bit tighter now, but I think everyone will be much happier after next week. I will be working my "dream" job, CEO of the Chambers household, an attentive and more loving mommy, and a much better wife to my hard-working husband. It's a win-win for everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment