Sunday, January 29, 2012

Gfeller K.C. Weekend


 This weekend, my family came to visit. I was lucky enough to take the day off Friday, so I could spend as much time with them as possible. Thursday night dad had a business dinner, so the rest of us went to the Salty Iguana for dinner. We shared a lot of great food, wonderful conversation & a few tasty margaritas!

 Thursday while dad was in meetings and Isaac was in class, the rest of us went to Crown Center and Union Station. Mom has been waiting for YEARS to take a tour of Hallmark, but when we got there, the tour was closed for cleaning and exhibit change. She was so upset I thought she was going to cry!!
Instead, we did the next best thing - chowed down on some chocolate!
 Alaina got a "mud" treat and Noah devoured a chocolate-covered twinkie. Yum!
 I'm so glad we got to experience Crown Center together!


 After doing a little shopping, we then headed to Union Station. This beautiful station opened in 1914 as the second largest station in the nation.


The beautiful grand hall made me feel like I had traveled back into the 1920's..
 I think I should have been alive during that era..or the 1950's! (Or I wish I had a closet full of 20's and 50's style clothing!)
 After taking in some of the sites and visiting the K.C. Rail Experience, we shared a delicious lunch at Pierponts. 



After lunch, we headed to the "Extreme Screen" Theater, and watched "Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets." It was a pretty good movie - it reminded me of something I'd seen during my early school years. Mom wanted the kids to have an "educational day" since they took the day off from school, so after the movie, we went to Science City, a modern science museum in Union Station with many interactive exhibits and hands-on activities. 

 Which way is up??
 Solving crimes in the "KC Crime Lab"
 Fingerprint analysis
 Checking out different types of thread & hair
  Making clouds in the weather lab
Riding the Sky Bike! Although it was leveled, and there was a net, I was a bit nervous!

 Glad you could make it, Isaac!
(I see the resemblance!)




I love playing train master...






Watch out!! I think we're going to CRASHH!!
 Captain Noah landing a space craft.

We also got to make music in the park and walk through a human body! What an educational and fun day!

That evening, we met Dad and Isaac at Carmen's Cafe in Brookside. It is a lovely little restaurant with a great atmosphere and even better food. We started off at the bar and shared a few drinks, and then headed to our table to feast on delicious Italian food. I had the Tortellini Andres with peas, prosciutto, and mushrooms & Isaac had Halibut ala' Marisa. Dad and Alaina both had Baked Mannacotti and  mom had Chicken Spiedeni Oscar. Noah had a huge bowl of pasta with clams, scallops, shrimp & squid. Needless to say, we all ate until we were stuffed, and Isaac and now have a week's worth of food in our fridge....SCORE!

On Saturday, Isaac and I met the family down at the Plaza and did a little shopping. I got a few cute things from Banana Republic for work, and mom FINALLY decided what colors to paint our house, after some help from the Pottery Barn consultants. I think it's going to look really good! We had lunch at Fred P. Ott's and then the boys decided to stay there and share a few beers while watching the KU game while the girls went shopping.

Isaac and I had a new visitor at our house this trip...Berkley! Mom and Dad are keeping Berks while Devin is in school. 

 She is quite the handful, but is pretty sweet!
 It's hard to tell them apart!




 Benson doesn't really like Berks.....


Thanks for visiting us everyone! We always have a great time when you come to Kansas City!



















No comments:

Post a Comment